Tupas’s article catapulted the privileged
(or cursed?) role of the English teacher in making proactive decisions in
choosing pedagogical norms to be taught in class. What I like most about the
article is its sea-changing stance on teaching norms. Tupas argued for
situating the debate on norms in the complexities of the classroom and in the needs
of the local communities in general. I must say that I agree with the Filipino
teachers’ stance on choosing and teaching the “right” norms in their class.
First, I agree that they still
choose to teach the American English norms to “recognize the economic
imperative of teaching and learning SE [Standard English]” (p. 570). For me,
the norm that will help bring food to the Filipino table will be the norm or
one of the norms to be taught in my classroom. People need food to live; other concerns
are secondary. If Standard American English is what companies and employers in
the Philippines and in the world want, then, I think it must be taught to my
students. Anyway, I will let them be aware of the presence of Philippine
English. I will also let them use it in the class as long as they know the
consequences. I will tell my students that I am teaching them SE because there
are just things that are beyond our control right now such as the “whims” or
requirements of the companies (although I personally think that research is
needed to investigate what are the consequences in the workplace for teaching
both PE and SE and whether English norms really have significant impact on the job
application and employment of my students). Teaching SE is not passivity; it’s
being realistic.
Second, beyond the economic
necessities, I really like the stance of Filipino teachers saying that they can
teach localized content to teach SE. I agree that the cultural content of the
English class is more important than norms. When I taught ESL writing for one
semester, the talk of norms was not really central in my class (although of
course, I do think now that it is important). But what mattered more for me are
the essays that we read about being a good Filipino citizen, being a good
student, and being a good person in general. These are the content that we
talked about as we tried to discuss the composition and organization of our
sample essays. My students also wrote about self-awareness, specifically their
own history, their own personal stories, and their future personal goals. In
other words, the content of the lesson is more important than being stuck with
what norms to teach. The personal, communal, and nationalistic values that they
developed in my English class were the things that mattered the most.
No comments:
Post a Comment